Well, gosh, it’s May. My birthday approaches. We’ll be having a party, a fancy dress party, in our new house. Perhaps we’ll be able to use the lower half of the house by then?
Renovations so far:
- The side of the house that had been sinking has been raised up, and now it’s all level.
- The foundations have been repaired, and the giant crack running through the floor of the lower level has been concreted in.
- The inner walls of the lower level have all been removed. New walls have been put in, outlining a new laundry, bathroom and bedroom.
- The back door has been replaced.
- Tiles have been lain and grouted for the entire downstairs area save the bathroom (still being installed) and the hallway.
- The laundry and bedroom have been painted.
Still to do:
- Install the fixtures for the new downstairs bathroom, tile and paint it up.
- Replace all the lower level windows.
- Refurbish the bar area.
- Pull out the kitchen upstairs, and replace errythang.
- Same with the upstairs bathroom.
- Fix the cracks that were created upstairs when it was raised, and repaint those areas.
- Replace the front door and the glass tower above it. I’ve no idea what that will look like yet.
- Build an outdoor entertainment area of some kind. Patio-like.
- Paint the exterior.
That’s the main stuff anyway. I keep thinking “Gosh, so much has been done so fast,” but listing it all highlights how much there is to go.
I love our house. I’ll love it so MUCH when it’s all done. but that will be a while yet. I was so dismayed when a builder client of mine casually dropped the 80/20 rule: 80% of the works gets done in the first 20% of the time, and the remaining 20% of the work takes the remaining 80% of the time.
Oh, I almost forgot! There will also be a shelf for my ponies. PRIDE OF PLACE. Whether Brenton likes it or not.